Wednesday, January 23, 2008

support from helpful people

Social workers tend to not like hearing that foster parents are seeking de facto status. This situation is so messed up though that when the social worker in the originating county learned (through me) that I was planning to file the paperwork I got nothing but love.

It's not rocket science to see that this child is so stressed she's about to explode. She throws up at school (tells me she's thinking about the upcoming criminal trial) at least once a week. She comes in to my room to sleep on my floor at night because she feels "safe" there. She's falling so far behind in school she's stalled since September. She can't participate in the afterschool tutoring program because her afterschool time is already fully booked with various therapy appointments. She has no friends, and no time to spend with them even if she did.

The next time the court makes what I feel is an unreasonable request of her (and there have been many) I want to be able to explain why that will be a problem for her. I think it's time for the court to fish or cut bait.

No comments: