Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"It'll weed out those who are doing it for the $$"

Ever wonder about the way civilians view foster care?

I learned today that the California budget is about to implode and foster children are going to feel the crunch. Specifically, it looks as if the reimbursements to FFA families will be cut by 5%, and those checks will be delayed by two months.

I mentioned this to a friend and she made the comment above. ("It'll weed out those who are doing it for the $$.") Is she kidding? Right, because all along my plan was to get rich doing foster care.

It's not hard to see where this is going to lead. Some families won't be able to take that kind of a hit to their household budget and some children will be looking at yet another move within the system.

Personally, I'm okay here. I bought my house when prices were reasonable, and the interest on my mortgage is low. My ride is paid off with about 30,000 miles on the odometer. I have a good job, health insurance and a retirement plan. This isn't my first recession so I know what's coming. Other families are less well-prepared and they will opt out, that's the reality.

No comments: